Sunday, July 20, 2014

Beat from the Isle of Green: The Strypes

Ever wanted to know what it would sound like if you set your "Five Live Yardbirds" LP to 45 rpm? Well that would be The Strypes, Ireland's hit R&B/Pub Rock band who have been taking the world by storm. Starting with their self produced E.P. "Young, Gifted & Blue" featuring covers of "You Can't Judge A Book By the Cover" by Bo Diddley, "Got Love If You Want It" by Slim Harpo, "I Wish You Would" by Billy Boy Arnold, and "Leavin' Here" by Eddie Holland, the foursome blast new life into these toe tappin' classics with youthful ire. 

They then went on to release a debut LP "Snapshot" featuring mainly original work, my personal favorite being "Blue Collar Jane". With a more mature sound it sounds like only good can come for these guys, especially with their plans to release another 4 track E.P. titled "4 Track Mind", feat. a cover of The Ramones "Rockaway Beach" and a track produced by the Modfather himself.

"My only complaint? Shaggy Haircuts!"
They've gotten a lot of press for their age, but I don't consider that a factor. Talent is talent and these boys have got plenty. They did their rounds in the states and I unfortunately missed them, and I'm still kicking myself. Their hitting the East Coast again August 19th in D.C., but they are unfortunately skipping over the Empire State! But I might make a trek to Philly just to see them, and I'd suggest you try to see them live as well. All in all they are a great group and I can't wait to see what they do in the future. Hopefully it involves a trip to NYC!

                                      
                           


No comments:

Post a Comment